Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Summer Reading Reader’s journal- fiction
(My choice of any genre)
#2                                                      Reader’s Journal                                              8/9/11

Dear Mrs. Zrihen,

            Today I finished reading a non-fiction novel called THE GLASS MENAGERIE by Tennessee Williams. This book is classified as a genre of drama. Drama is a type of novel that has skits, musicals, and plays that use language, song, or dance to convey messages. I often like reading drama books because I’m really interested in plays. In my opinion, The Glass Menagerie was a great book! A librarian who told me this book was her favorite recommended it to me!
            The characters in this scene are very interesting and different from each other in their own ways! Amanda Wingfield (the mother) is a round character. There is much to admire about her even though her foolishness makes her cruel at times. Her characterization is carefully created, meaning she’s not copied from any other person and is very unique. Laura Wingfield, her daughter, is also a round character. Sadly, she has many defects. For example, she has constructed a childhood illness where one leg is vaguely shorter than the other. Tom Wingfield, Amanda’s son, is a protagonist and is the narrator of the play. He is a poet and a round character because, even though he is the narrator of the play, he also participates in many scenes and is considered one of the main characters. Jim O’Connor, like the others, is pretty much a round character and a protagonist, being a nice, ordinary gentleman caller who hopes to help the Wingfield family by trying to free them from their present lives of doubt and hopelessness.
        The setting of this book is from 1941-1943 and it takes place in an apartment in St. Louis. The book doesn’t mention any weather or social conditions. The tone is tragic and sarcastic and the mood is devastating. The theme and motif is the difficulty of accepting reality. The pattern of organization is foreshadowing because it is when the author gives subtle hints of things that will happen later in the text.  The author’s purpose is to share a skit to the reader and the author’s perspective is subjective and biased about the differences and hopelessness in people.  The moral in this story is to never give up hope on your self. The point of view is in first person because all characters are speaking in their point of view, using the words “I, me, and we”.  
            There were many quotes that sparked my interest, but the quote on page xviii gave me the most interest. “ Amanda, having failed to establish contact with reality, continues to live vitally in her illusions, but Laura’s situation is even graver. A childhood illness has left her crippled, one leg slightly shorter than the other, and held in a brace. This defect need not be more than suggested on the stage. Stemming from this, Laura’s separation increases till she is like a piece of her own glass collection, too exquisitely fragile to move from the shelf.” I chose this quote because it had significance to me. It gave me memories of a friend I knew who had the same situation. Also, when reading about Laura’s character it gave me a good start on the book, knowing some of the many problems in their family.
            The plot structure on this book was very interesting! The exposition started off talking about all the characters, the story of how the play was written, and the set of where the play is. Next came the rising action, where Amanda decides that Laura needed to get married and hopes that Jim will become Laura’s boyfriend. Then the climax had every character going at their highest points! For example, Tom decides not to pay for any of his bills and use the money to run away and leave his family in order to break from his family struggles. Jim announces that he is engaged, which destroyed all the possibilities Laura had to overcome her problems. In the falling action Laura accused a few family members for not admitting Jims engagement. In the resolution, Laura says goodbye to Jim and give him her most treasured souvenir so that they wouldn’t be forgotten.
            The major conflict in the book was that all Wingfields have problems that threaten their lives. For example, Amanda tries everything she can to make Laura, her daughter more popular and social with others. The conflict is external and man vs. society.
            I used many strategies before, during, and after reading this book. Before reading I identified that the genre of the text was drama so that I can use it to write my reader’s journal as a choice of any genre. I also determined if this book was “just right” for me since a librarian recommended it to me. While reading I analyzed for any text features that I needed to include in my readers journal. Also, I visualized what I was reading to act as a character in the scene so that I would understand and like the book better. After reading I reread parts of the book that were interesting or hard to understand and I wrote my reader’s journal according to all the post-its I wrote while reading.
            There were not so many signs of figurative language, but I was able to identify a few. “My pain is a storm that never clears up” Is a metaphor. “The alcohol called me as I tried to forget about the tragedy my family’s been through” is personification. “No pain, no gain” is an example of a cliché. “bum bum my heart beat rapidly as I was in a stage of fright” is an example of onomatopoeia. And finally “clouds of depression over our souls were as dark as the truth” is a simile.
            All in all, this book was extraordinary! I rate it a 7-10 because it kept me interested and flipping the page! Also it taught me to be thankful for what I have. I hope you have a chance to read it because its worth it!
                        Love,
                        Joelle Ben-Nissan  

 

2 comments:

  1. dear Joelle,
    Thank you for reading my blog and for all the great compliments. to your question yes i would read more historical fiction books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Joelle,

    You did a really good job on your Reader's Journal! I really enjoyed reading it because of the way that you described the characters and the plot without spoiling the book. Even though I do not enjoy reading drama or plays, I want to read this book. It sounds very interesting. I wanted to ask you, how would you feel if you were Laura?

    Love,
    Ioana Barbu

    ReplyDelete